Mathew A. Johnson
Professor of Mathematics
Associate Chair & Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Mathematics
University of Kansas
405 Snow Hall
1460 Jayhawk Blvd
Lawrence, Kansas 66045
Office: 545 Snow Hall
Phone: (785) 864-7307
Ph.D. in Mathematics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2009.
BS in Mathematics, minor in Physics, Ball State University, 2005.
I am interested in the existence, stability, and dynamics of nonlinear waves in a variety of partial differential equations that arise in applied mathematics and mathematical physics.
Along with my collaborators Pascal Noble (U. Toulouse), Miguel Rodrigues (U. Rennes), and
Kevin Zumbrun (IU), I was honored to receive the
2015 SIAM Activity
Group on Analysis of PDE Outstanding Paper Prize.
- Picture from the prize ceremony, featuring M.J., Miguel, and Kevin.
2017 Participating School in Analysis of PDE
Numerical PDE's and Geometry/Topology Seminar (Fall 2014)
- Fall 2021
- Math 765 -- Mathematical Analysis 1
- All course information can be found on
I have been honored to receive several teaching awards:
- From Math 951 -- Advanced PDE II (Spring 2020)
- From 2017 Participating School in Analysis of PDE (Held at KAIST in Daejeon, South Korea)
Selected Upcoming & Recent Conferences / Workshops
KUMUNU-ISU PDE, Dynamical Systems and Applications Conference Series
- SIAM Conference on Nonlinear
Waves and Coherent Structures, June 11-14, 2018.
- Fluid Dynamics and Dispersive Equations Workshop, Centre for Mathematical
Sciences, Lund University, Sweeden, June 25-29, 2018.
- SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, May 23-27, 2021.
- SIAM Annual Meeting, July 19-23, 2021
- AMS Fall Central Sectional Meeting, Creighton University, Omaha, NE, October 9-10, 2021.
- Conference on Mathematics of Wave Phenomena, Karlsruhe, Germany, February 14-18, 2022.
- IMACS International Conference on Nonlinear Evolution Equations and Wave Phenomena, University of Georgia, March 30-April 1, 2022.
- Dispersive Hydrodynamics: Mathematics, Simulation and Experiments with Applications in Nonlinear Waves, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, July - December 2022.
- SIAM Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures, Bremen, Germany, August 30-Sept. 2, 2022.
- 6th KUMUNU-ISU PDE Conference, Lincoln, NE (postponed to 2021 due to COVID).
- 5th KUMUNU PDE Conference -- Columbia, MO, April 27-28, 2019
- 4th KUMUNU-PDE Conference -- Lawrence, KS
April 21-22, 2018
- 3rd KUMUNU PDE Conference -- Lincoln, NE, April 21-23, 2017.
- 2nd KUMU PDE Conference -- Columbia, MO, April 23-24, 2016.
- 1st KUMUNU PDE Conference -- Lawrence, KS, April 18-19, 2015
Math Related Links