Mathew A. Johnson
Associate Chair & Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Mathematics
University of Kansas
405 Snow Hall
1460 Jayhawk Blvd
Lawrence, Kansas 66045
Office: 545 Snow Hall
Phone: (785) 864-7307
Ph.D. in Mathematics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2009.
BS in Mathematics, minor in Physics, Ball State University, 2005.
I am interested in the existence, stability, and dynamics of nonlinear waves in a variety of partial differential equations that arise in applied mathematics and mathematical physics.
Along with my collaborators Pascal Noble (U. Toulouse), Miguel Rodrigues (U. Rennes), and
Kevin Zumbrun (IU), I was honored to receive the
2015 SIAM Activity
Group on Analysis of PDE Outstanding Paper Prize.
- Picture from the prize ceremony, featuring M.J., Miguel, and Kevin.
2017 Participating School in Analysis of PDE
Kansas Collegiate Mathematics Competition
I have been honored to receive several teaching awards:
- Fall 2020
- Math 650 -- Nonlinear Dynamical Systems
- All course information can be found on
- 2014 G. Baley Price Award for Outstanding Teaching of Graduate Mathematics, awarded by KU math grad students.
2015 Outstanding Honors Course Award, awarded by KU Honors Program.
- 2016 Don & Pat Morrison Foundation Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- 2020 G. Baley Price Award for Outstanding Teaching of Graduate Mathematics, awarded by KU math grad students.
Selected Upcoming & Recent Conferences / Workshops
- 2017 Participating School in Analysis of PDE: Stability of Solitons and Periodi Waves, Summer School in KAIST, Daejeon, Korea, August 21 - August 25, 2017.
- KUMUNU-PDE Conference, April 21-22,
- Fluid Dynamics and Dispersive Equations Workshop, Centre for Mathematical
Sciences, Lund University, Sweeden, June 25-29, 2018.
- SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, May 23-27, 2021.
Math Related Links